Every year when the Christmas decorations arrive in the craft stores, I always look for an ornament wreath. And every year I can never find one that is less than $200.00. This year was no exception, even during my local craft store’s 50% off Christmas decorations sale.
So, this year I took matters into my own hands, literally, and made my own wreath! Why have I not thought of this before? Duh! I bought everything I needed for just shy of $40.00!
Here’s what you need:
- Foam wreath; I used a 10″ wreath
- 70-100 plastic ornaments (at least.) The amount of ornaments really just depends how full you want it and the size of wreath. I also used vase filler to help fill in the little holes. I was able to get all of the ornaments 50% off at my local craft store. I chose to do a peppermint candy theme.
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks. I used about a dozen sticks.
- Decorative ribbon to hang the wreath
- Optional: pliers or heavy duty scissors
Remove the ornament clips/hooks from the ornament. Which at first, I only removed the hooks and then decided it would lay better if I removed the entire piece that is at the top of the ornament.
Hot glue the ornaments to the wreath form along the inside and outside edges of the wreath. Be sure to glue the ornament while the wreath is flat on your table surface. This will ensure that your wreath lays flat on your front door.
Once both the inside and outside of the wreath form are covered in ornaments, you can start layering balls on the top of the wreath. For mine, I worked in clusters, slowly adding ornaments and filling in the gaps as I went around. You want to avoid seeing the white form underneath, which is where the vase filler really came in handy.
Cut a piece of ribbon and weave it from the back of the wreath, underneath the balls and then back to the front. I would suggest doing this before you completely fill in the gaps. I waited until I was completely done and it took me a couple of tries to weave the ribbon in.
This DIY took a few hours to complete, but was really fun and I just love how it turned out! I’m sure it could be done in less time, but with a four-year old running around I kept getting interrupted. The hardest part about the project was cleaning up the glitter bomb that went off!